Theodore G. Dickinson House
The Dickinson House is a recreational facility built in 1941 for the residents of Oglesby through the cooperative efforts of Bertha K. Evans and Marquette Cement Company in memory of Theodore G. Dickinson. Dickinson was founder and builder of the Marquette Cement plant in Oglesby in 1898 and President of Marquette Cement Manufacturing Company to the date of his death, July 2, 1933.
Today, the community center, located on the south side of town at 440 Dale Avenue, is owned by the City of Oglesby and is assisted in its operation and renovation by the Dickinson House Foundation. Improvements continue to be made to the building with not only support from the City and Foundation, but also from many individuals, organizations and businesses from the Illinois Valley area. Memorials on behalf of loved ones and gifts for renovations of the facility are noted on a memory board displayed at the facility.
The building features two meeting rooms, one on the main floor and the other on the lower level with kitchen areas, along with a conference room on the main floor. The facility is a meeting place for many local organizations.
The facility also hosts many other social events including bridal and baby showers, birthday, graduation and anniversary parties, funeral receptions, ladies cards afternoons along with assorted clinics and gatherings.
The Dickinson House also features a six lane bowling alley where many bowling/birthday parties and assorted bowling activities are held throughout the year, including a youth bowling camp and youth bowling leagues. The fee for using the bowling alley is posted below. The alley can be rented out everyday of the week from starting at 10 AM until 8 PM.
Groups or individuals wishing to use the Dickinson House for a meeting or event, book a bowling/birthday party, provide financial assistance or are in need of additional information, should contact the Oglesby Parks and Recreation Department at (815) 883-8121.
Those wishing to participate in the Dickinson House Foundation can do so by attending meetings on the first Wednesday of the month at 3:30 PM at the facility. Participation is encouraged.
The current officers and board members are as follows: Gary L. Peterlin, President; Bill Arkins, Vice-President; Darlene Brown, Treasurer; Ann Biolchini, Secretary; Fran Morrison, Director; Darlene Piecha, Director; and Bob Ghighi, Park & Recreation Director.