110 E. Walnut Street, Oglesby, IL 61348 • 815-883-3389
110 E. Walnut Street, Oglesby, IL 61348 • 815-883-3389

Building Code

List of Inspectors & Contact Numbers

Building Inspector
Brian Spelich

Electric Inspector
Burton Lavens

Plumbing Inspector
Allen Stoudt.

Oglesby has adopted the 2003 Editions of the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Existing Building Code, International Code Council of Electrical Code, International Fire Code and the state of Illinois Plumbing code and any subsequent amendments.

Building permits are required whenever you make improvements to your property that change the footprint of the existing building, change exterior framing (such as changing the size or position of doors or windows) or replace a roof. Please contact City Hall, 815-883-3389, if you are unsure whether the work requires a permit. Building permits are also required for most home improvements including the new installation or replacement of the following:

  • Signs
  • Decks & Patios
  • Fences
  • In-ground Pools
  • Sheds
  • Garages
  • Room additions
  • Driveways
  • New home and commercial buildings

Work cannot begin until a building permit has been issued.

Design & Review Board

The building inspector has the authority to request that the Design and Review board review plans for new construction and renovation of existing buildings located in the Oglesby business district, the area being all property located adjacent to the Richard Moyle II Road until it ends at Illinois State Route 251 to the west and to the 500 block of East Walnut Street to the east, and all property adjacent to Columbia Avenue from the 300 block of South Columbia Avenue to the 800 block of North Columbia.

Design Review Board Guidelines Download PDF.

Electric Permits
Electric Permits are required for new service, service upgrades and the replacement of existing wiring. An inspection is required for underground service, rough in and finished (when applicable).

Plumbing Permits
Plumbing permits are required for new service or work involving the connection to the city’s main lines. All plumbing work, unless done by an owner who resides in the residence, is to be done by a State of Illinois licensed plumber. An inspection is required for underslab, rough-in and finished (when applicable).

Building Permit Form
Electric Permit Form
Plumbing Permit Form
Oglesby List of Fees

All contractors performing work in the City of Oglesby must be registered and licensed with the City. All licenses expire and must be renewed May 1 of each year.  Contractor’s must provide proof of insurance and a $10,000 bond.

Contractor’s Application

Solicitors Application   there is a $25.00 fee per applicant.  All applications must be approved by the City Council.




© Copyright 2018 All rights reserved City of Oglesby, IL

Designed and maintained by MCS Advertising